Wednesday, April 6, 2011

So FUN!-weekly blog #8

 Image:buzzmagazine.com

Last week we checked out Iota in Arlington, a place that often sells out. We wanted to be sure not to face this predicament again and went there early to eat some food. This venue is a cafe by day and awesome venue by night. FYI- the food is really good, but that's a story for another type of blog. We were there to check out headlining band Heypenny and opening act Ella Riot.

Let's start with Ella Riot, formerly known as My Dear Disco. They recently changed their name after discovering an Australian band with a similar name. They are fronted by a female powerhouse whose voice reminded me of one of my favorite artists, Robyn. I loooooved this band. SO upbeat and catchy. I am a sucker for dance-y pop music. I really do appreciate all types of music but sometimes you just want to dance. Check out the video for their song It could be:

And yes they sound that good live. They closed their set with an electronic bagpipe solo performance by the keyboardist, who's so good he's competed in bagpipe competitions in Ireland. Amazing. I didn't even know that this instrument existed first of all, and I gotta say, I kind of hate the sound of real bagpipes, but this was great and actually kind of had a lot of emotion to it. Check out the audio of the song below:

   Clubbin by Ella Riot

Next up was Heypenny. I was genuinely worried for them because the opening band was so good. Totally different sound but just as enjoyable. This three piece outfit had the energy of twelve. The bassist pulled out some moves I've gotta say, I've never seen before and am not sure I want to see again (I kid, of course). So much fun. The singer had a quirky but strong voice and the songs were bouncy and folksy but with a surprising amount of groove to them. The rhythm section was incredible. My fiance, who plays drums, geeked out a bit with the drummer after the show. The whole band seems very cool and apparently come here fairly often, so I'll be sure to check them out next time they're here. I'll try to post when they're coming so others can also partake.

   Oh No - Heypenny by dubandsegs

As a bonus treat, here's a Robyn video:

No comments:

Post a Comment